I used a part of the money that I earned on the SoC 2007 to buy a laptop to me. My university friends found a good price of a MacBook and we went to the shop in a total of 6 people (!) to buy this laptop trying to get some discount. It cost R$ 3400 (about USD 1800), a very cheap value to the Brazil standards. Fine. My MacBook arrived one week ago.
Not so much, but here are the news: * For the final evaluation period on the Summer of Code, Daniel suggest me to start my [own X server tree](http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/vignatti/xserver.git;a=summary). So I'm maintaining this one with the last bits of the X server input thread implementation and always trying to keep all the things up to date with the upstream tree. Everyone is very welcome to test it and report me the few - I expect - bugs.
It’s being a great adventure to lock the X input thread on the memory. I’m touching a lot of things that I’d never imagined before :) To trace the pages that are faulting when I move the device pointer I’m using my own ultra mega super kernel’s page fault notifier. It’s very simple, but as the things are not always perfect, it needs a little patch in the kernel. The page fault notifier does (almost) all that I need to trace exactly which piece of code inside X is causing the page faults.
This week I tried to lock in the physical memory the Xorg’s input code using mlock(). To do this I traced the code minutely and locked all the text and data related to input. I didn’t get success. The mouse still lags when the system is paging (you might remember that with mlockall() all worked wonderful except that it eats much memory). So what might be happening is that something is not locked yet.
In the last week, I did some cool experiments to see the effects of the D state acting on the X server process when I start it with and without the input thread and always mlock’ing it. First I set the grub to start my machine with only 170 mb of physical memory. Then I put a ‘mlockall(MCL_CURRENT)’ just before the call of Dispatch() function, on the main.c. So then I started the server.
This mail that I’ve sent to xorg mailing list tells the current state of my project. cut here - Hi guys. As you might noted here , my GSoC’s project is to do a separate mouse thread for the X server. Now, I’m really stucked with it and I need some good ideas from you before go to the next steps. Today the cursor lags in two situations on Xorg: